Industrial Engineering and Management
This programme has been developed in cooperation with University-Consortium in Science and Technology, BALTECH, and is simultaneously running in 4 universities in Sweden, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.
The programme focuses on the following topics: Production Engineering - Planning & Control, Strategic & Financial Management, Supply Chain Management, Quality Management, Rapid Product Development, Production Planning and Management, Production Digitalisation, Internet of Things for Industry and Innovation
LEVEL OF STUDYMaster's
FACULTYSchool of Engineering
STUDY LOAD120 ECTS (view curriculum)
MODE OF STUDYFull-time study
The key words of the present situation worldwide are production globalization, international and local cooperation and dynamic market. For those reasons, concepts as design, development and management of integrated systems of people, knowledge, equipment and materials are included in the curriculum.
The 2 year (120 ECTS) curriculum comprises the following modules:
- Business Management (18 ECTS)
- Technology-based Enterprise (18 ECTS)
- Industrial Engineering (24 ECTS)
- Operations Management (24 ECTS)
- Free choice courses (6 ECTS)
- Graduation Thesis (30 ECTS)
Download full curriculum (PDF)
Why this specialty?
- Covers the main engineering and business management areas; technical courses are combined with economical and social courses
- Teaching staff includes lecturers from the industry and international professors
- On site visits to manufacturing firms and lots of area-related associations for students (ABB, Ericsson, Bestnet, Cybernetica, etc.)
- Different interactive games for Lean production, 5S and production management and optimisation skills development
- Students can use different equipment in Protolab (3D scanners, 3D printers and laser sintering units) and Flexible Manufacturing systems and Robotics Demo Centre (Virtual and Augmented reality technologies)
- Different ERP, PLM, CAD, CAE and Factory Floor Planning software is used in the study process
- Master’s theses are commonly based on real-life problems of the industry/company and therefore possess a practical value on top of an academic one. Many graduates proceed to work for the companies after graduation.
- The background of the students is very diverse. In addition to a variety of former educational paths there is also a significant proportion of working professionals who are able to enrich the learning process with their practical experience. That also enables valuable networking opportunities for foreign students.
This programme aims to prepare engineers who will be experts in a particular field of engineering and have the required skills for company management. Graduates can work in every field, starting from manufacturing and ending with retail. Possible positions include Production Manager, Project Manager, Quality Manager and CEO.
"My decision to leave Germany after my Bachelor studies and start studying at TalTech came up randomly, but it has turned out to be the best choice I have made in terms of my personal development. TalTech provided me with a master’s degree that is very practical. The Industrial Engineering and Management Master's is an interdisciplinary programme of mechanical engineering, production optimisation and business administration. It gives you the chance to combine theoretical, scientific aspects with practical examples and after graduating you can work along the whole supply chain of a product (supplier, production or logistics side). Since engineers are the ones who develop the tangible part of the industry further and further, there should never be any difficulty finding a job in this field."
Stefan Voigt, Germany
Alumnus of the Industrial Engineering and Management programme
Bachelor's degree or equivalent
Online multiple choice test
Online test takes place in a system called Moodle. The test itself is 7 minutes long and can be taken only once.
- Exemplary questions:
- CAD systems are used for...
- What are the strongest points of paramatric modelling?
- What are the main functions of CAM systems?
- What kind of information systems are used in area of manufacturing engineering?
- Who benefits from product development?
- What are main advantages of numerical controlled (NC) machining?
- Quality management is used for...
- Product development is a process which includes the following steps...
- What is the role of engineers in product development processes?
- Why customer requirements management is important?
Grading scale: 0-10 points.
Positive scale: 6-10 points.
The candidate must collect at least 6 points to continue.
The aim of the interview is to understand your academic potential, motivation and suitability for your chosen course.
- Questions are composed to assess your:
- problem-solving abilities
- intellectual flexibility and analytical skills
- assimilation of new ideas and information
- Interview is discussion-based, mainly academic and programme-related:
- The typical areas of expertise of the manufacturing engineering.
- Industrial engineering is the engineering discipline that concerns...
- Manufacturing process performance indicators are....
- How to estimate the manufacturing cost per unit?
- Product development (describes the process of...). What is the difference between product design and product assembly?
- How to define the manufacturing planning?
- The main components of Computer Integrated Manufacturing are...
- How to describe numerically controlled (NC) machine tools?
- How to estimate/describe the manufacturing quality. Why quality management is important?
- What manufacturing engineers do in their everyday job?
The length of an interview vary between 10-15 minutes and will be conducted by the specialists in the programme you have applied for.
Grading scale: 0-10
Students for TalTech international study programmes are admitted based on the admission threshold. Online interview will be conducted only to candidates who have passed the online multiple choice test. Maximum score for the online interview is 10 points. An applicant who receives the minimum of 6 points is admitted.
TalTech international admissions office
TalTech international admissions office provides general advice to prospective Bachelor’s and Master’s degree applicants and their advisers about applying to and studying at TalTech University.
Student counsellor at School of Engineering
Student counsellor at School of Engineering can help you
with questions about the study programme.
(+372) 620 3633
Contact a Student Ambassador
Student Ambassador can help you with questions about living in Estonia, travelling to Estonia, work and housing options or free time activities for students.